Thursday 3 March 2011

Opening the studio, Sunday 6th March

On Sunday I am opening the studio for the first time and hoping some people will come and see what I've been working on.
I've kept it very low key, only advertising in the village newsletter and putting out a sign on the day. So it'll be my own fault if no-one comes at all.
What I'm hoping is that there will be a few people, enough for me to be able to introduce myself and show what I do, talk about materials, subject matter and influences without being swamped by lots of visitors and not having time to talk to anyone properly.
I remember when Julie and I first did open studios at Wycombe Court House 7 years ago, we relaxed in the garden working away at our projects, chatting to occasional visitors and demonstrating techniques. It was a very fulfilling time and I'd like to get back to that situation here.
I find it helpful to talk to people about what I do, especially non artists who often have a completely different perspective on the work. So, I intend to have a couple of pieces of work on the go, which I can discuss and use as a way of demonstrating. I've got a blood red Amaryllis in the conservatory which is on the edge of coming into bloom, I plan to do some semi abstract watercolours based on this, and a landscape from a drawing I did this afternoon in Aller Lane, again fairly abstract in approach as that's what's interesting me at the moment.
I have tidied the studio (it may be worth opening once a month just for the spring clean element) and filled the walls with landscapes, mostly oil on canvas. I have got out the browsers of unframed work and the cards and Julie has given me some of her ceramics and jewellery so I think it will be a good show, I'll post photos when I've completed the display.


Here's my programme for 2011

Sunday 6th March Landscape

Sunday 3rd April Coast

Sunday 1st May Works on paper

Sunday 5th June Portrait, life and the Human Landscape

Sunday 10th July New work in ceramics, jewellery and paintings

Sunday 7th August Abstract elements

Sunday 4th September Favourite Places

Sunday 2nd October Landscape





No comments:

Post a Comment