Thursday 17 March 2011

Amaryllis


I found this amaryllis in the cut price bin at Homebase after Christmas, the colour on the box looked so wonderful that I was tempted, and it is the most beautiful, rich tomato red. Although I'm not a flower painter I've had two attempts at it so far, neither has been successful, I'm hoping my friend Sue (who is a flower painter) will come over today and give me some tips.

About 50 years ago, my father was the manager of a hardware shop on Abingdon, he received some amaryllis bulbs, a newly imported plant that no-one knew anything about, and brought one home for mum. She did her usual green fingered job, and after about three months of careful nurturing it came into bloom. She was thrilled, the flowers were huge and colourful, she put it in a place of honour.

The next day it had vanished and a new window display appeared in Timothy Whites.

Mum was not pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment